Monday, September 7, 2009

mushrooms

Christopher had a friend over today to play. I send both of the boys outside to play on the zipline, which is still a favorite (and that is a good thing, not two months after it is installed.) Jim needs to adjust it so the ride isn't as long as it used to anymore, but that's a different point.
After a short period the boys came back inside and it was not clear to me why. Garrett told me that Christopher was afraid of the mushroom that is growing near the zip line. I had told the kids to not touch it as I had no clue what it was, besides very pretty.


I think they may be sulphur shelves, as described on the Missouri Deparment of Conservation Edible Mushroom. The mushroom is about the size of a cauliflower and about that shape as well, but the 'leaves' are definitely not. If you know what it is, let me know.....

On another note, we went to the Missouri Botanical Gardens today for the Japanese festival. I specifically wanted to go there to hear the Japanese Taiko drummers. They were awesome, and well worth the entry fee and Christopher whining the whole time we were there (except when he got to play in the Children's garden). Katherine liked the drummers too which was part of the 'cool' part.

No comments: